Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Blog Post # 1

The book I chose to read is My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. I figured it would be a book I would be interested in after reading the backcover's plot overview. The book is about Sam, a boy who leaves the city and goes to live by himself in the Catskill mountains. He learns to make use of the natural resources around him and survive on his own. Sam hunts, fishes, and makes his own shelter. Although he finds it difficult, Sam thinks of how his great-grandfather was able to live there on the same land many years ago. I think it's important to learn these skills, and to be able to live independently, not always having to rely on civilization for food and shelter needs. Sam takes this to the extreme by escaping to the wilderness and learns a great deal about himself and using the land.

No comments:

Post a Comment